Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Little Blue/A Lot Scrappy

Michiko, my Japanese friend, and I went to work cutting and piecing blue scraps. Amanda Jean would be proud of us. She inspires us all to use our fabric scraps. I find it a lot of fun and satisfying. The only part I don't love is having to iron before cutting, but we didn't have a lot that needed ironing...yeah! 
This scrappy baby boy quilt went to a sweet guy named Otto. He weighed over 10 pounds when born!
 The squares were cut at 3 inches. The quilt is 16 squares by 15 squares in size.
I machine quilted straight lines (didn't even put the walking foot on!) on one side of each seam, across and up and down the whole quilt. This step went real fast.
 ...even a little blue elephant to take naps with Otto!

This picture shows the scrappy binding that we used. Michiko's hand work is perfect. She stitches down the binding and likes to be able to do that last step of the quilt. The backing is soft flannel, white and blue gingham and was pre-washed. The last two baby quilts that I've backed with flannel have behaved very well for the machine quilting. I am happy about that. I seem to want to use flannel now more than ever. This was in my stash just waiting to be used. :)  Take Care~~                                                                                                                           


4 comments:

Judy said...

That is cute Diane. I've been trying to use up my scraps when I can.

Nancy said...

Looks good mom- quilt and post. I love the scrappy-ness.

Sam and Gail said...

All those blues! What a wonderfully snuggly quilt for a little boy. Makes me want to get to work and create some more scraps!
Gail from 2createincolor.com

Mama Pea said...

It's just awesome! Love the little elephant square! You're right, Amanda Jean would be proud!